Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
CodeLurker

Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell. Empty
PostSubject: Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.   Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi. I'd like to say, that while Remix_OS is rather stripped down, at last I have my Presonus FP-10 working, and even playing back YouTube videos in full screen! I tried Kubuntu, but never got my Presonus working on anything but some system settings test sounds; and the Jack controller app kept locking up afterwards. I have to use Jack audio for the FP10; but that's what gives me low latency anyway. I am very glad to have it working, in a recent, real-time, 64-bit kernel. I salute you and encourage your distro for us audio aficionados who want as much horsepower as will run stably (and we can afford); and don't want to have to install everything from the ground up, like ArchLinux. I like some eye candy too, when it can be had without too much price. You seem to have picked some of the better Linux apps in their category, in most cases; as opposed to other distros that go with e.g. Reconq and Dolphin.

It appears that if I warm boot, I get "ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.," but when I cold boot (i.e. power off, instead of just restart), it starts normally. Things are working well enough otherwise that am not complaining; but it would be nice for this not to happen. It seems to have to do with initramfs-tools, of which this post claims there is a known bug:

"Re: ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell..."
Since I can't post links, I'll say this was a topic at derkeiler dot com.

There might already be a fix on the way. One less WTF! moment to be eliminated, hopefully.

EDIT:
I notice that /sda and /sdb have been swapped on a warm boot. I don't know why that happens. They are reversed from a warm boot to a cold boot.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.   Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 am

Hi CodeLurker,

Thank you very much! I am happy you like the distro!

To resolve the problem try to configure your partitions in Strorage Device Manager. Just set options to their default value and mount - it will mount your drives at the boot time to the same mountpoints.

Back to top Go down
https://remix-os.forumotion.com

Warm boot error: ALERT! /dev/sdb5 does not exist. Dropping to a shell.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Forums :: Installation & Boot-
Jump to: