Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

nVidia driver fail

Go down 
AuthorMessage
CodeLurker

nVidia driver fail Empty
PostSubject: nVidia driver fail   nVidia driver fail I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Well, wouldn't you know. Just as soon as I get all the audio working, I realize that I have no video hardware acceleration; or it is weak. It is this freeware driver nouveau that it ships with, evidently. So, I simply go to "Additional Drivers" and select the current version for my nVidia card, a FX 5200 on-board chip. I reboot, and get a lovely terminal prompt.

I followed as much of this guide as I could:

BinaryDriverHowto

I removed the nouveau drivers, and tried Installation without X/ from the console. "jockey-text -l" results in no drivers being listed. No help there. Here is a thread with some supposed solutions and a lot of people with the same problem, apparently unsolved:

How to Install Nvidia Graphics Driver in Ubuntu 10.10

One person suggests:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

~$ sudo sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

that didn't get me a working driver.

So, being the resourceful fellow I am, I tried getting the drivers from the nVidia site. They have me download a script, which I must make executable, and run. So I run it. It complains that (if memory serves), version 4.4 of gcc is installed, but the kernel is compiled with version 4.5. So, compilation of kernel modules is broken in Remix_OS?

Anyway, I have no video, and an installation that does everything I want it to, until I tried to use a driver from nVidia. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
CodeLurker

nVidia driver fail Empty
PostSubject: Re: nVidia driver fail   nVidia driver fail I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:04 pm

I got tired of waiting (~20 min.), so I wiped the partition and installed the video driver first thing. That worked. More in the guide How I installed Remix_OS and got ALSA and Jack to play nicely together .
Back to top Go down

nVidia driver fail
Page 1 of 1